Saturday, May 14, 2011

New desk, electronic decluttering

I decided to get that Manhattan desk from Target after all. It is the perfect size. The hutch doesn't cover the whole desktop, so I was able to leave enough space on the left for the Zotac ZBOX PC to sit. The DVD player and CR-48 netbook fit under the bottom shelf, and the drawers hold my supplies.


I was able to get the books and nightstand out of the room. The greyhound is happy to have more room in "his" corner to the left of the desk :) I may be able to construct a little shelf under the right side of the desk for the printer, but I rather like having it out of sight (and out of the dust) in the cabinet. It's wireless, so it doesn't matter where it is. And I don't print much.

I've also decluttered my electronic life with the addition of the ZBox PC. I've been using Google Chrome browser for a long time now, along with Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar, and Picasa for pictures. I'm making a concentrated effort now to store nothing on my computer. Chrome keeps my bookmarks and everything synchronized on all my computers. My documents and pictures are likewise accessible from anywhere.  My Blackberry keeps my Gmail contacts and calendar sync'ed, too. I got the ZBox 4Gb of RAM and a 60Gb solid state drive, which is more than enough for Windows 7. The ZBox only uses 20 Watts of power, and the only noise it makes is from the fan, which is fairly quiet.

My book collection is also electronic. I have quite a few ereader books, and have just started using Amazon's Kindle for PC and Blackberry. Both services store the books for you, and you can read them on any computer, where ever you are. Best of all, they don't take up any space in the physical world.

13 comments:

frann said...

Looks good.

Jim H. Moreno said...

Cloud computing FTW!

And I see what you mean about those cords. :/

tffnguy said...

I agree it looks good and Functional to.

HermitJim said...

Looks like that things are shaping up! Getting it done...!

Good for you for the progress!

tffnguy said...

Abby, are you'll still planning to be here Memorial Day?

Abby said...

David, sadly I will not be there for quite a while. Since it cost me about $400 just in gas to drive out and back last time, I decided to save the vacation time and try to come when I can be out there for at least 2 weeks AND get something in place that I can live in. 3 weeks would be even better.

jicky said...

I like the new desk. Just got rid of my huge parson's desk that was just big and no place to hold/charge my electronics.

offgridterlingua said...

I dont have yer email anymore.. I lost it when I deleted mine

Abby said...

Nick, you can get it from David or John, and Julianne should have it, too.

offgridterlingua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
commoncents said...

THANK YOU for posting this. I'm glad I found your blog!!

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

tffnguy said...

Abby, is that desk getting any closer to Terlingua? Haven't heard from you for a while.

Abby said...

David, no closer yet. Hope to get a new blog post done this weekend to update y'all.