Monday, May 9, 2011

It ain't right

The furniture. It ain't right. Mostly my desk. Here's a fresh pic of my current desk situation:


I like having a keyboard tray and a couple of small drawers to put things like pens, scratch pads, screen wipes, etc. I like the monitors raised up so the center of the screen is at eye level, but not on top of books like they are now. I like ALL the cords hidden from my view. And I really really really like real wood. My other desk is just a bit too big, which is why I'm using this little table.

Been shopping for a new desk that's the right size, and has a little hutch for the monitors to sit on, a keyboard tray, and at least one drawer. All I can find in the right design is that heavy (and crappy) MDF stuff. Like this:
Target's description of this says the frame material is hardwood. I checked it out in the store. The legs are hardwood, but the top and drawer fronts are MDF, and the veneer isn't good. They didn't have the hutch in the store, but I'm betting it's mostly MDF, too. Otherwise, the dimensions are spot-on, it looks nice, the finish matches my other furniture close enough, and it would serve my needs nicely.

New additions to the room: the books the monitors are sitting on, which will go if I get that desk, or a similar one. Bandages and first aid stuff for the greyhound's latest boo-boo. The charging cable for the Blackberry. New quilt for the bed - ratty old blanket out.

One other note: I'd like to welcome my new readers to the blog. It's reassuring to know that other folks are also travelling the road to simplifying their lives and minimizing "stuff." It is a journey, not a destination, and it's kinda nice to have company on the way :)

5 comments:

tffnguy said...

Decisions decisions. :)

HermitJim said...

Sounds like you are on the right track to me! I like the design of the new desk! If you could find one in wood, that would be outstanding!

frann said...

I like your chair!

lou said...

You are reght about the journey. You know you have too much stuff when you need something that you know you have, but it is easier to buy a new one than to find what you know you have.

Paully said...

I hide all my cords with a white board that comes out when we all get together to play Pictionary. Don't you want lots of pictures on your walls? Big ones of your new land, maybe.

Our lives are so different. I haven't been able to access my blog for months now, or you could see. Ah well, nothing is permanent, is it. Thank heavens for that or you'd be stuck where you are, ha.