Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sleeping on the floor, less "stuff"

Three nights spent sleeping on the floor now, and I've gotten used to it. Would have slept through the night last night were it not for the tornado warning alert ringing my cell around 1:20am. Got back to sleep when the warning expired at 2, and woke up just a few minutes before the alarm, feeling fine.

The netbook's left mouse "button" has gotten erratic, so I swapped it out for the Dell All-inOne. I think it's just time for a new computer. The Dell just doesn't run some things right in Windows 7, and the screen resolution for LotRO doesn't really work for me, either.

I did bring in my nightstand today, which has small drawers that are perfect for eye glasses, stamps, address labels, checkbook, and other little things. It's under the little table I use for a desk, acting as a keyboard tray. May move the dresser in tonight, too, but I completely emptied the bottom drawer and removed some other stuff that I never ever wear. I took out 2 more bags of "stuff" to the trash yesterday. Little things count, too; I brought in all the jewelry I never wear to work and gave it to the ladies I work with. The only pieces I kept are ones I love, and the only ones I ever wear when I bother to wear jewelry at all.  I also returned a book that has been in my nightstand for over a year that I haven't read.

I'm pleased with the blank slate experiment so far. I use everything in the room at this point.

7 comments:

HermitJim said...

Little at a time, that's how you get things done!

Sounds to me like you are the right track, though!

frann said...

The.tornado's.have.been.terrible.am.glad.your.OK.
I.spilled.water.on.the.kyboard..the.space.bar.isn't.working.and.the...y..has.gone.nuts.

Abby said...

Dang, Frann, wish I was there - I have a spare keyboard you could have. Maybe it will work after it dries out. Can you pull up the spacebar and try to blot some of the water out?

Paully said...

Abby, I've just spent the whole evening reading your blog from beginning to end. What a rare inspiration you are! You've acquired a great support system which demonstrates that once we make a commitment and act on it, the universe steps up to help!

I loved reading of your Blank Slate experiment. Have been thinning out here too and tonight ran into a shelf of beautiful old vases that have been in our family for years...pondered a few minutes and packed up all but 4. Not easy but so gratifying!

Thanks so much for keeping on with your blog. I wish you all the very best.

offgridterlingua said...

good idea! I thought of all the things I might need when I finally get down to the ranch. But have no place to put it.

Jim H. Moreno said...

We're on the same track, indeed. Very interested in seeing what jewelry you kept. :)

Jacklyn said...

This is so funny. I was actually telling myself that I needed to go through my jewelry and give most of it away. I have one tiny box that hold my most used jewelry that I wear. Then I have another cedar box that is larger that I NEVER where. Going to go through it and pass them on to someone who would. Don't wear it, don't need it.