Saturday, April 30, 2011

Lounging

I had a really strong urge to lounge in front of the TV today, and the computer chair just doesn't cut it for that purpose. My choices for this were the recliner or the futon mattress. While the floor sleeping experiment went well, I decided to bring in the futon and all the spare pillows in the linen closet and make a lounger. The futon can stay, since it can be both bed and lounger, but a better propper-upper arrangement will need to be made. I really don't care for the futon frames that you can configure like this. I think a simple triangular structure, that folds flat for storage, with a non-skid base would do nicely. Update: Just had the idea to have a headboard that would fold back and down to support the upper part of the bed in "lounge" position. Then it doesn't have to be stored. |_ _ _ bed  |\ _ _ lounge

The lounger was immediately popular.

It's leaning up against the dresser drawers, which will not do at all on a permanent basis, but it was quite comfortable. The blue shoebox made a temporary end table to set my coffee cup on. During floor sleeping, I also needed a a very low table for the alarm clock, so I guess this is something I need to make or buy. For maximum usefulness, I think a lidded wood box or drawer would be great; storage for remotes and a flashlight.

The cabinet the TV is sitting on has my wireless printer on the middle shelf, and all my bedding on the bottom shelf. The computer and nightstand are to the right of the squinting-in-the-camera-flash dog (Natoli). 

The only other addition to the room today is the digital camera, since I actually used it. 

7 comments:

Abby said...

2 nights sleeping on the futon on the floor and my hips are achy. Maybe I should try just the floor again tonight...

Jim H. Moreno said...

Worth a try, since you sleep on your sides. I'm a flat-back sleeper, and am having no discomfort with my floor bed.

commoncents said...

HA HA! Glad I found your blog... keep up the great work!

Steve
Common Cents
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

SHARON said...

Just found your blog. Enjoy reading about all of you research and planning. I am also in the middle of downsizing (took 28 bags of clothes to the community closet on Friday)and sent a trailer load of stuff to an auction last year. It is such an uplifting feeling and I need to stay at it.

Abby said...

Thanks, Steve!

Sharon, I don't think I've owned 28 bags of clothes in my lifetime. Yes, getting rid of "stuff" is very freeing...

SHARON said...

Well, I use to work in an office where the dress code was pretty casual. But, yes, it is a lot of clothes. Now, its t-shirts, jeans and sneaks. Its good to be retired.

Michael Ultra said...

I can relate. I am in the same process. Amazing the junk we collect...and keep.
michael
rv0777.blogspot.com