Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Blank slate simplifying

Last night I took the plunge into the blank slate method of simplifying and minimizing. I completely cleared out the master bedroom. As I need things, they will come back in. So far, the room contains a small desk, lamp, netbook computer, chair, dog beds, small tv stand with tv and dvd player, alarm clock, and a pillow. I slept on the floor last night on a comforter folded in half. When I woke this morning, I folded up the comforter and blanket and stowed the pillow in the closet and instantly had all the floor space back that would otherwise be taken up by a bed.

I slept on the floor because I've been questioning the need for a bed. People didn't have modern beds for hundreds of thousands of years in our evolutionary history, and many still don't. As some of you know, I'm really interested in the Paleolithic period, when we were all hunter-gatherers. One of the few remaining hunter gatherer peoples, the San of the Kalahari in Africa, have nothing in the way of modern conveniences (like beds) and they seem to be thin, fit, and healthy people. They sleep on the ground.

Back to the blank slate, I will only bring clothes back into the room that come out of the dryer, meaning clothes I actually wear. I will only bring other things back into the room as I use them. I think after a month, I should know what I'm using and what I'm not, and be able to pitch or sell the stuff I don't actually need.

9 comments:

Jim H. Moreno said...

Right on.

Kris Watson said...

Okay now you have gone and done it! Thrown down the blogging gauntlet for me! I have been thinking about this for a long time myself. Hmmm. One room at a time.

tffnguy said...

Abby, you might entertain the idea of building a bunk that folds up against the wall and just put some memory foam on it. It would take up very little space when up and could be used for a couch when you had company. You could also build it so that the foam could be folded up against the wall and the main platform could be left down for a table when entertaining guests and needing a place for them to eat. If I ever get something of my own built I plan to do that.

offgridterlingua said...

interesting

jicky said...

Very interesting experiment. My son has a futon on the floor that he folds up in the morning. I like tffn's idea of a Murphy bed/bunk.

Abby said...

Do it, Kris :)

David, I do like the idea of multi-purpose furniture. What ever I build is going to be tiny, so every square inch matters. Kinda like a boat cabin or a small RV. I want to maximize the available floor space for the dogs, so everything else in the room needs to take up as little space as possible.

Pam said...

And you can still walk?!! So jealous!

tffnguy said...

Abby, see my latest blog for my idea.

offgridterlingua said...

I met casey and sarah recently, nice kids and have a good grasp on minimal solar systems.