Thursday, April 14, 2011

Apples and Oranges

It puzzles me that the makers of the 12V refrigerators and freezers don't have to provide one of those yellow Energy Guide stickers like other appliance makers do. Their info on the web says how many watts it uses, but this does NOT help me estimate how much solar panel or battery I need to run one. If it uses 90 watts when running, how often does it run and for how long? Why can't you give me the annual kWh number that "real" appliances do? Or even how many watts it uses in one day? I can at least extrapolate that the "real" mini-fridge I'm looking at that uses 274 kWh per year according to the Energy Guide sticker uses (274000 watts divided by 365 days) 750 watts per day. End gripe. Mumble.

In other energy news, I got myself a geeky new internet connected LED LCD TV that uses half as much power as my old one. It's a really fun gadget; even though I don't have cable and there is no chance of pulling any TV stations with an antenna (they're all in Atlanta), I'm keeping entertained with lots of Netflix and the novelty of checking facebook and the weather on the TV :)

7 comments:

jandean said...

Abby, I'm surprised this info isn't available on RVer's forums or boondocking blogs. Maybe ask Mikey at http://blog.holyscraphotsprings.com/

Dome Dude said...

see http://backwoodssolar.com/
they have a good section on solar fridge. good info. have struggled with my elec fridge.

tffnguy said...

Abby I noticed that problem when I was trying to find a small fridge to run off of solar. I think you met my neighbor Robert at the brunch? He runs a medium sized 110 volt chest freezer and a medium sized 110 volt fridge both off of 800 watts of solar. He has the fridge set to turn off at night though. It keeps the stuff in it fairly cold though.

offgridterlingua said...

I too was looking for one of those lcd led tvs they look great

Abby said...

Thanks for the links! Hadn't seen Mikey's blog - good stuff there. Been to backwoods solar, but missed the fridge energy info. Those things are way too expensive. Costs about the same to get a real mini-fridge and the solar panels to run them, if not less. I barely keep anything in the fridge, but I can sure use freezer space. Still need to set up the zeer pot and see how well it works, because if it works well, I could just get a small chest freezer.

Abby said...

Sold the old TV over the weekend for more than half of what the new one cost. Since the new one uses half the energy of the old one, I rationalize that this was a good decision ;)

analogmanca said...

Abby,

I have some info on a fridge mod I did that does not require changing the fridge itself but lets me have a 5 cuft fridge that uses 266 watts a day. You can find it on my site on the page heading fridge mod. If it interests you I can provide you the model I am using I think it is still in current production.