Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lighting: check

I've been searching high and low for some decent solar powered LED lights for my future home. I finally found two that I like; the first is the Sunforce Solar Hanging Light with Remote Control, Model# 81091, which will go in the middle of the house for general lighting. It lit up my living room pretty well, so it should be great in a small living space. The other is a solar BBQ clip light with 10 LED's. The light is a little on the blue side, but I used it to read the directions, and it can be used to light the grill or any other work area. Since these both have their own panels and batteries, there will be no drain on the house batteries. I also have the Dietz lantern and LED flashlights, so my next trip out to my land will be well lit :)

In other news, I'm still in communications with a geodesic dome company and working out the logistics of that idea. The foster dog is back at the rescue until she's fostered or adopted elsewhere - she was snarling at Tara every time she saw her, so those two cannot be together again. No further progress has been made on the batteries. It's been god-awful cold here and I haven't wanted to spend time tinkering in the garage.

9 comments:

Dani said...

Abby

I love the hanging light - so much so I'm going to try and order one for our house. Do you know how long the cable is (from the light to the solar panel)?

Brilliant find :-)

Abby said...

Thanks, Dani! I put all the info I could think of into the review I posted on Amazon. That cable is 9' long.

tffnguy said...

Abby, hope you don't think I'm trying to keep up with the Abbys by my new post. I had intended to use that thread yesterday until I nearly got creamed trying to turn to come up to my place so that was my yesterday's thread.

Interesting thread so I guess we both have some other options to look at now.

Abby said...

LOL, David! No, my little eyes lit up when I saw the lights on your blog :) I want something along those lines, with switches, to go over the sink and cooktop. Bright enough to make sure the dishes are clean and tell how brown the meat is getting.

tffnguy said...

Abby, I'd think they would put out plenty of light for that and at least it is white light rather than some of them with a slight blue tent to them. The one over this area lights this keyboard, the laptop and area around it better then the 12 volt incandescent ever could and might use 1/50th the watts. If you go to an auto parts store to look at them you might want to count the LEDs because evidently the first ones only had 12 LEDs instead of 15. The wire that comes with them is tiny and thee is more than enough to wire up a switch and maybe go to a close battery bank.

Nick Cooper said...

was in Atlanta last monday, was cold. sorry for the pocket dial. glad you are posting again

Dome Dude said...

Have followed your blog a bit - and lived in South Brewster County for six yrs. I have a Monolithic Dome with open loop geothermal transfer A/C. Check out desertdomedude.blogspot

Abby said...

Hey, Dome Dude :) Checked out your blog - can you post some info and pics about your dome? Sounds like your geothermal system is working pretty well.

Kurtuluş Yıldız said...

New online hydraulic store