Sunday, October 3, 2010

Still entertaining ideas

Since my last post, I've been doing room rearranging, staring at various spaces and imagining how things would fit and look, and more work with an online room designer. Still haven't arrived at that "just right" design, but I'm getting closer.

To take a break from that design, I spent some time today designing my composting toilet. I made a cardboard template for the top (that the toilet seat sits on). I'm trying to work out a rounded front for it, rather than doing the big square box seen here. There are several options in materials that will wrap nicely around the curved front.  I'm lacking some of the tools I need to build this thing myself, though. I miss having a table saw at my disposal.

In other news, I got AT&T DSL last week to replace Charter. My bill from Charter, for just Internet, has been a hair over $60/mo. for their 5Mb speed, which in reality is closer to 13Mb. DSL is a bit slower, topping out at 5Mb, but is only $20/mo. for the first year. I don't watch TV and I haven't had a landline in almost 4 years; it used to be really hard to get Internet service without being forced to "bundle" it with TV or phone. I'm very glad that is no longer the case! This will save me some money I can put into my cabin.

6 comments:

Nick Cooper said...

I too havent had a land line in over 4 years, nor a tv until I moved into the mansion here.

round is good!

Nick Cooper said...

http://www.igreenspot.com/gardiner-ch4-%E2%80%93-plumbing-free-toilet/

Abby said...

Yeah, love the organic shape of that one! A hollowed out stump would also make a cool outer shell for the bucket.

Jim H. Moreno said...

Good to hear the new Internet connection is working for you. Must look into that, also.

tffnguy said...

Abby, You might want to get your own dungeon for storage there. I've found that there just isn't enough storage for everything I need or want in here. :(

Abby said...

You're right, David. If I want to keep all my tools, workbench, and some odds and ends, I'd definitely need a shed or garage or something. I am still entertaining the idea of a storage container for a cabin, perhaps 2 of them with some storage space worked in.