Friday, October 29, 2010

On with the plan!

I've spent many hours looking at the Plan B design, imagining it, measuring, pondering, and redrawing. It's a keeper. So, on to the next order of business: ordering the container and prepping the land for it.

You may notice the plan does not have a microwave. I'm still thinking about that. I use the thing every day to heat water for coffee and to cook frozen veggies. Maybe 15 minutes use a day. I've been considering unplugging the thing for a day and see how much I miss it. It wasn't a big deal for the week of camping, so maybe it won't kill me not to have one... the fewer electrical gadgets I have, the better.

I think found the charge controller(s) I want for the cabin. I'm looking at having two separate power systems; one for an AC and electric radiant floor heat, and the other to run everything else. 500-600W of panels on each system. So I need to find a truly outstanding deal on panels so I can afford to do that :)

7 comments:

HermitJim said...

Sounds like you have the right idea! Make a plan and stick to it! Things appear to be moving right along for you...and that's a good thing!

Just Me said...

System redundancy is good. Is there a reason why you prefer electric radiant floor heat instead of hydraulic radiant floor heat with direct solar heating of the water or anti-freeze? Seems like you could cut your panel need in half by using evaporative cooling and solar heating, each of which would take only small amounts of 12VDC current. Best of luck on finding an outstanding deal on solar panels. More is better, even if you only rarely need the extra power.

Abby said...

Thanks, HermitJim! Just Me, the electric radiant has no moving parts to break (or make noise) and doesn't require any maintenance. It'll be backed up by a little propane heater and there's a lot of glass facing south for passive solar heat. I will probably also have an evap cooler. I have a propane on-demand water heater, but I can also use the solar shower bags for that. I'll probably have one or two wind gennies as well, and a little gas gennie. I'll have 12V lighting, but I also have my oil lantern.

tffnguy said...

Abby, here's a few more things to think about. First off if you insulate from the outside you will need to have something covering the inside walls and sealing with just a little insulation value on the inside. That would keep the moisture from a propane heater from condensing on the walls and sealing when its real cold. The back part of the dungeon used to literally rain when I was using propane heat and opened up the door going in to the storage area.

Unless you use LED lighting 115 volt florescent bulbs that only pull 13 watts, but put out 60 watts worth of light can't be beat for efficiency.

I'll agree with JustMe on the heating. I don't care what type electric heat you choose to use it will be an electric hog. Passive solar would cut your overhead by a bunch.

Jim H. Moreno said...

*in Picard voice*
Make it so!

Nick Cooper said...

Those christmass lights on the inside of my container dont even make the fan go on my inverter if you like low light.

frann said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250727154069&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

these are the panels I got