Sunday, October 10, 2010

Almost there...

I'm 95% sure I'm going to go with a shipping container cabin now. Still futzing around with the design, though. And have to figure out what to use for a foundation; I suppose it should be off the ground, so maybe something under the corners and in the middle? I wonder if anyone out there does the spray on foam insulation, and how well that would work on the outside, with maybe a layer of stucco over the top. And of course I'd need someone to weld on a big raised roof for water catchment.

I'm currently planning to get back out there the week between Christmas and New Year's, perhaps longer depending on how my vacation time accumulates. I don't think I want to stay in a tent this time, though; it's going to be cold!

5 comments:

Jim H. Moreno said...

Huzzah!

tffnguy said...

Abby, I don't know how deep the soil is there, but if its like this place it isn't far down to solid rock. Wouldn't be hard to drill down in the rock and insert some rebar to anchor concrete pilers to set the container on. If the concrete is poured on top of the solid rock then it isn't likely to settle any. Main problem would be getting the container placed on the pilers after you have them poured.

I don't think anyone down here does spray insulation, but I have several ideas of how to get from either 10 to 20 R factor or even higher for insulation value if you want to hear them. That would be outside to cut down on wasting inside space. Welding shouldn't be a problem as far as adding a slant roof and would allow for insulating on top of the container also. One thing is for sure and that is that if the wind got high enough to move the container then a stick building would probably be splinters.

Nick Cooper said...

Julianne Sprayed her own foam on her building, Im sure she also did research to find the closest company that did it.

Abby said...

Awesome, Nick! Sent her an email to ask about that :)

MsBelinda said...

I also figured that shipping containers would be the way to go if I ever get to build my homestead in Terlingua.

Will be checking regularly to see how you bring this dream to fruition.