Sunday, August 1, 2010

Design headache

I've been spending a lot of time with pencil and graph paper trying to work out an acceptable floorplan using a single 20' shipping container. I know, I know, I looked at this before. And yes, I'm still trying to make it work.  I just can't quite squeeze everything I want in there. But this is the 2Simplify blog, so I'm trying to make it simpler :)

I'm really not crazy about outdoor "facilities," but they do take up a lot of space in the house. I'm also trying to use my existing furniture, which is probably making this more difficult. Built-ins would make more sense. Back to the drawing board...

I rounded up some more "stuff" that can go to charity. I still haven't tackled the old office closet, and that needs to be done soon. I'm also thinking a few more kitchen things I never use can go. Maybe I'll get some of that done this week and get it out of here before I head to Texas on Friday for Grandma's 90th birthday.

4 comments:

I said...

I have made a new design and I think I am gonna go with it for various reasons. I know what u are going through, trying to rethink and wishlist changes drastically

tffnguy said...

Abby, you can extend a container by opening the doors straight out and welding in a floor assembly and roof over them and then a front end like the dungeon. If I owned the dungeon I'd have done that. It would turn the 20 foot container in to a 24 foot. Not much, but an extra 4x8 would surely help.

Abby said...

tffn, that totally did NOT occur to me! Thank you for that :) I'll mess with that idea next week. Leaving Texas tomorrow and won't get home til late. Got here in Rockport for Grandma's 90th birthday on Friday. Wish I could stay.

tffnguy said...

Abby, You can double that space by using the doors once more and have bay windows with the front exit. It would also give you a 4 way cross flow of wind, (when their is wind) Insulate on the outside rather than the inside will also save you space. Containers are real versatile.

Too bad you couldn't make it down here. (Or did you?)