Monday, June 7, 2010

Van test drive

Finally found someone looking to trade their minivan for a car! We did a mutual test drive tonight up in Hull, and I think we were each happy, but we're taking tonight to think on it and will discuss tomorrow. It sure would be nice to be able to take all 4 dogs somewhere all at once! For those who don't know, I have a 2005 Ford Focus 4 door sedan. PD the greyhound takes up the entire back seat all by himself, though Devi can squeeze in with him. All 3 girls can ride back there, but not with PD. Thankfully, I have not had to take all 4 anywhere yet, but the time is coming, so I need a van!

I think I have to nix the shipping container idea. I'd absolutely need 2 of them, and the cost of the containers, mods, and shipping (especially the shipping) is just too much. Really, I think my best bet is going to be finding a good builder down there to make me a shell that I can finish myself. Papercrete and it's kin seem like very good desert options - good R value and can handle high winds and bug resistant. I've seen some neat pics of straw bale and adobe type homes out there. I need to revisit that house plan I drew up and see if it still works based on the new things I've learned from others blogs.

Saw a UGA listserv post today that there's a local charity for computer stuff. I'm going to see if they will take my old printer and the shuttle pc and the other pieces-parts I have lying around here.

No comments: