Saturday, September 12, 2009

To solar or not to solar, tiny house link

Today I spent some time looking into solar power again. I figure the system I would need for my cabin would cost me between $2800 and $4000, but paying for grid electric would probably only run me about $500 per year, if that. So the system would pay for itself in 5 to 8 years. Which is simpler? I like the idea of having my own power with a low impact on the environment, and one less monthly bill. On the other hand, paying that one bill would allow me to be lazy; not having to monitor my batteries, and what ever maintenance is involved with a solar array.

A lower cost system would force me to live more simply. I would not be able to run an air conditioner very much, if at all. I'd have to do without that nifty radiant electric heat I'd like and just use some sort of propane heater or a wood stove. And I could use a propane refrigerator instead of electric.

Another point to solar is that power outages would not concern me. I will definitely be giving this much more thought.

I made a brief decluttering pass today, and found a few more things I no longer need or want. Last night I ordered something new, though - I found a really cool looking basket that will fit perfectly underneath my nightstand for more storage. I'm also in the market for similar containers, preferably with lids, that will fit under the bed for functional and decorative storage purposes.

By the way, for those of you that think I'm crazy for wanting to live in a small house, please check out Tumbleweed Tiny House Company, which has given me some inspiration and a few ideas. These little houses would work for me, but not for the dogs; they're just a bit too small!

No comments: